Wednesday, April 30, 2008

the verve... has it really been a (a new) decade?

It has been ten years since the very ugly breakup the band that Nike popularized then (everyone) subsequently overplayed and thrust them into 'one hit wonder' status. Most people only know 'Bitter Sweet Symphony' and maybe 'Lucky Man' but for those in the know, The Verve has a brilliant back catalog of three solid albums and a few robust eps. I have been fan for a long time and finally got to see them back in 1998ish in Denver. Cami and I have had a nice stoke of luck with some of our favorite bands reuniting and touring fairly close to us. (We saw Rage Against The Machine at Coachella last year... truly epic.) See what can happen with bucket full of wishing and just a tiny pinch of magic! (everyone keep that positive energy going that John Squire and Ian Brown will make amends.)





Anyway the show was great the casual fans got some all the well know songs from 'Bitter Sweet' to the 'Drugs Don't Work'. Even I could not complain with all of the more "rock' songs like 'Rolling People', 'Come On' and 'This is Music'. They even broke the mold of reuniting bands and played two new songs; 'Sit and Wonder' and 'Love is Noise'. Both dance and radio friendly in the same vain as Urban Hymns. The Verve performed most songs in between the long winded jazz-influenced jams (the hard-core fans enjoy) and succinct radio edits, careful not to drag on too long. (potentially loosing the casual fans just waiting to hear 'Bitter Sweet'.) Note: 'Space and Time' is one of the greatest songs ever!


It was nice for me to see Nick McCabe playing back with the band. The last time I saw them he had left the band just before the Urban Hymns tour. They replaced him with a surprisingly good fit of B. J. Cole on pedal steel guitar. (strange sight but very unique and cool) McCabe brought a psychedelic feedback-infused sound more true to the Verve's style.

I have been to so many great concerts: from a venue so small the guitarist talking to fans before the show, jokingly asking if we had any requests and Cami putting her Diet Coke on the stage next to the Tim Burgess' speaker at the Charlatans in Salt Lake, to Brad yelling Charlatans USA (instead of UK) and Tim agreeing with him in that smooth British accent "Charlatans USA" back in Pomona circa 1999. And who can forget the literal earthquake that was 80,000 or so fans bouncing up and down to 'Calm Like a Bomb' with Rage at Coachella? Honorable mention goes to U2 in Mile High Stadium in Denver 1992 and both of my recent Muse shows. Asking me to rank concerts is like asking pick my favorite son. (and I only have two of them). Special thanks to all the babysiters!! My Mom and Dad, Val, Annette, Christi, Chad, Cindy, Paul, Jen, (Mom and Dad Green for watching Craig and Kim' little angels (or is it devils?) so they could come enjoy the show and Vegas. (Don't tempt me! Direct to your room in 20 min or less) -- Inside jokes for C and K only!! hahaha

Keep those fingers crossed for a Stone Roses reunion tour in 2009, everyone ,as always, is invited!

3 comments:

Beckey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beckey said...

Okay, all I saw was "stone" and I thought Rolling Stones..then I re read it and it says "Stone Roses" Sorry! I'm a dork!

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

Kenneth loves the Stone Roses. I'm sure we would be up for that concert. We'll send out our positive energy into the universe that it will happen. I'm glad you had fun at the concert.